Real Food for Real Kids—Tofu Spinach Dip
Silken tofu provides creaminess in this delicious, dairy-free dish. It’s a great way to introduce tofu to a family member who’s never had it before—mostly because they wouldn’t know it was an ingredient until you said something. Shhh…
Makes: One litre
3¾ cup frozen spinach
1¾ cup sliced onion
3 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp + ¾ cup sunflower oil
2 cups silken tofu, cubed
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp lemon juice
2½ tsp sea salt
Pinch ground nutmeg
1. Thaw spinach completely and squeeze out as much water as you can. Chop into 1cm pieces if it’s not already chopped (it usually is).
2. Over medium heat, caramelize the onions and garlic in a frying pan using the 2 tbsp of sunflower oil (about 5 minutes), then set aside.
3. Purée the remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor until silky smooth. Empty this into a mixing bowl.
4. To finish off the dip, stir in the spinach and the caramelized onion and garlic. Voilà.
• Keep this dip refrigerated, and use within 2-3 days.
• If your kids aren’t fans of spinach, we’ve had success by calling this our Green Monster Dip.
Real Food for Real Kids is a Toronto-based catering company that aims to reconnect children and families to real food by providing delicious, healthy, all-natural meals and snacks – made fresh from scratch.