Spicy Celery Salad
All at once tart, sweet, spicy and fresh, this crunchy celery salad is dressed with a tahini and date dressing spiked with lemon juice and mint.
- 4 large pitted dates (about 2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (optional)
- 1/2 bunch celery (about 8 stalks), with any inner leaves, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup whole almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
MethodPut dates in a heatproof bowl or cup, add 1/2 cup boiling water and set aside to let soak for 10 minutes. Transfer dates and soaking liquid to a blender. Add lemon juice and zest, tahini, chile flakes and salt, and blend until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with celery, parsley and mint. Sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately.
Whole Foods Market carries the finest natural and organic food available, from everyday value items to unique specialty products. It features foods in their purest state, free of artificial flavours, colours, sweeteners, preservatives and hydrogenated fats. Whole Foods Market supports organic farmers, growers and the environment through a commitment to sustainable agriculture and by expanding the market for organic products.