Zazubean: the responsible chocolate
For me, there is nothing as satisfying as dark, rich chocolate. While it’s without a doubt my “guilty pleasure”, I’m always on the lookout for a chocolate which isn’t so—well—guilty. So when I came across Zazubean Organic Chocolate at the 2012 Green Living Show, which advertises itself as Canada’s first line of functional gourmet chocolate, I decided to give it a try.
As it turns out, Zazubean was envisioned by a group of friends who also felt there was a lack of responsible chocolate choices in today’s market. On a bike excursion off the coast of British Columbia, they discussed wanting a gourmet chocolate that was delicious, ethical and had natural health benefits. So they created a solution: a product line of dark, 100 percent organic and Certified Fair Trade chocolate bars with added superfoods that target PMS, anxiety, energy, sexual stamina and more—made ethically from cocoa bean to bar.
With unique names like Lunatic, Zing, Ego, Nakid, Flirt and Hottie, each kind has its own health benefits. I picked up Ego, which combines nature’s powerful Matcha green tea and the superfood Goji berries, which are rich in vitamin A, E, B complex and minerals such as zinc, iron, copper and phosphorus.
- Zazubean’s chocolate is dark, and dark chocolate with a minimum cocoa content of 70 percent may protect against heart disease and high blood pressure. Plus, it’s choc full (pun intended) of antioxidants and vitamins.
- All bars are Certified Organic by the USDA. Pesticide-free? I love it.
- The chocolate is Certified Fair Trade, ensuring farmers and their families get a fair wage for their cocoa beans.
- The bars are vegan, gluten-free, soy-free and GMO-free.
- The bars contain superfoods which have amazing health benefits.
- The chocolate is rich and delicious.
- The line is a little pricey—the average single bar sells for around $4, so it’s definitely more expensive than my usual chocolate fix.
In my opinion the pros outweigh the cons, and I’m a strong believer in the fantastic health benefits of superfoods. The chocolate is smooth, dark and delicious, and certainly handy on days when you need that something extra. Plus, it’s both certified Organic and Fair Trade, so you know you’re supporting socially and environmentally supportive practices.
To find out where you can get your hands on a tasty Zazubean bar for yourself (you won’t be disappointed), use this handy store locator. Enjoy!